Why Study English Language at Edinburgh?
English Language at Edinburgh produces graduates of the highest calibre who have had the opportunity to study a range of disciplines in depth, covering both the structure of the modern language and its historical development.
Our flexible degree programmes are designed to give you a thorough foundation in basic concepts and methodologies in early years of study, and then to allow you to specialise or to study the full breadth of the subject in later years. As part of your programme you will also have the opportunity to take 'outside' courses in almost any other subject offered at the university. Many students end up combining English Language with a subject that they began studying as an outside course. This flexibility allows you to tailor your degree to suit your developing interests or your particular aptitudes.
There are many benefits to the four year degree structure:
- It allows you to experience new subjects without committing long-term. We know that it can be difficult to choose a subject that will be right for you, and the four year structure takes the pressure off; giving you time to try out a programme and change subject (which approximately 30% of students do) should you wish to.
- It helps you to gain good results, as you can discover which subjects are best suited to you and tailor your degree accordingly.
- It gives you more time to grow intellectually and academically providing an extra year to develop your confidence and perfect your essay writing style. The majority of our students gain better marks in their 4th year, than they did in their third year.
- Provides you with a breadth of academic experience, which is both enriching and attractive to employers.
Support at every step of your programme
Every student has a Personal Tutor assigned to them, who is a member of the teaching staff and will provide you with academic guidance and support.
Your tutor will work with you to help you:
- review your academic progress;
- reflect on how your learning can help you pursue your future development;
- engage with a community of learners; and
- address any concerns or problems that might affect your studies.
Enhance your employability
The Edinburgh MA is a four-year degree that offers you the opportunity to take a number of 'outside' courses in subjects that complement your degree, or to try something completely unconnected, simply out of academic interest. This can be a real opportunity to develop a broad range of skills that enhance your employability.
Vibrant student community
If you study English Language at Edinburgh, you will benefit from being part of a large and vibrant undergraduate and graduate community, at the heart of a University with a 400-year heritage that is consistently rated as one of the world's best. The university is located in the centre of Scotland's ancient and beautiful capital city, one of the cultural capitals of Europe. English Language at Edinburgh can offer a student experience that few others can rival.
Study around the world
All students in Linguistics and English Language have the opportunity to apply to study abroad during the third year of their degree. Edinburgh’s four-year degree system is perfect for this: you get a good foundation at Edinburgh during the first and second years, then return to Edinburgh to finish off your degree during the fourth year along with all those you met here during the first two years. We have study abroad arrangements with some of the best universities in Europe, Asia, North and South America and Australasia, and we regularly send students to study in all these places.
Easy access to the UK and beyond
Edinburgh is well connected with very accessible travel within the UK and beyond. Edinburgh is just a 4.5 hour train journey from London, and just over an hour on the plane. Getting out to Edinburgh airport from the city centre is a hassle-free 30 minute bus ride. Edinburgh airport has direct flights across most of Europe and to many international destinations.